Sunday, March 6, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

I just ate the last In-N-Out burger I will have for at least 4 months and I savored every bite. I'm savoring the soft bed, clean carpet, healthy animals, fresh salads, drinking tap water, and texting... just some of the things I expect to miss starting Tuesday at 6:00am when Michael and I leave most of our worldly possessions in Oregon and head off to La Paz, Bolivia, to celebrate graduating from law school and to take advantage of our youthful desire to spend 3.5 months in relative discomfort.

In December, we finished law school. In January, we studied - a lot. In Febraury, we made it through taking the Oregon bar (cross your fingers that we passed!). In early March, Michael and Matt Ellis took off for a very cold (high of -4 degrees F cold) skiing and ice climbing trip in the Canadian Rockies, while I came down to Fresno, California, for a laid back visit with my family. In two days, we will be flying from Portland, Oregon, elevation 50 feet, to La Paz, Bolivia, elevation 11,942 feet, where we will get oriented, acclimated and brush up on our Spanish for a few days before heading off to... um... somewhere. We have our tickets home (on June 21) and have no other plans yet. After the structure of law school, the freedom of having no plans is very appealing.

So, dear friends and family, please wish us safe travels! I hear it's hard to upload pictures (and we're going low tech - aka, no smartphones or computers), but we'll try to update the blog whenever we can. While I am excited to leave, I am also looking forward to coming back home again...

2 comments:

  1. We miss you already and you haven't even left yet. Carpe Diem!!

    We look forward to following the adventures of our heroes, Taylor and Michael, as they begin their quest for ????

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Hello...this is George. Is this Mom? Well, no, not my mom, but the owner of this phone's mom? I found this phone on the floor at the San Francisco International Airport, near a trash can. It looks like a good one. I scrolled down through the "Contacts" section and I found "Mom." I decided to call Mom. If you can't trust Mom, who can you trust?

    Anyway, I'm thinking that this phone belongs to your son, Mom, and I'm thinking that, wherever he's going, at some point, he's gonna want it back. So, if you'd please call me (well you do know the number don't you?), I'll arrange with you for its return. Okay? By the way, do you know whose on your son's contact list? Quite revealing, actually. Well, I guess that's between you and him....lol"

    Anyway, this message waas on our answering service when we returned from work on Tuesday. It appears that Michael and Taylor, our heroes, in the service of "tak(ing) advantage of (their) youthful desire to spend 3.5 months in relative discomfort" somehow, subconsciously or otherwise, caused the "liberation" of Michael's phone, spontaneously, right there onto the floor of SFO.

    Mike, I also miss them a lot already.

    Chris Kittell

    ReplyDelete